NeurOptimal® Neurofeedback NYC
Emily S. Rosen, LCSW
NeurOptimal Explained-What to Expect with Neurofeedback
- After the initial meeting we won’t talk much during your sessions (often referred to as trainings). You will sit in a comfortable chair with five non-invasive sensors that are reading the electricity on the surface of your scalp. All you have to do is listen to beautiful and relaxing music.
- You will either watch a computer screen that shows creative colors and shapes that are constantly changing or you may close your eyes.
- Results from neurofeedback may be faster than talk therapy. You may notice after a few sessions that you’re not as agitated as you usually are, or your boss doesn’t intimidate you as much. You may not feel the need to turn to your vice (food, alcohol, drugs, sex) in order to keep your feelings of rage or sadness down because those feelings have dissipated or been eliminated.
- Your sleep may be better on the days that we meet and soon it may be better all the time.
What Is Neurofeedback, and How Does It Work?
Neurofeedback is a method of training the brain to respond to life more effectively. The type of system I use, NeurOptimal®, is I believe, the most advanced one there is.
NeurOptimal® works directly with the central nervous systems, using a broad range of frequencies. It gives the brain information about what it is doing. The brain uses this information to reorganize itself to optimal health. It seems to work especially well for children, even faster than for adults.
The NeurOptimal® system is quite complex but it does all of the work for you. All you have to do is sit in a comfortable chair in my office. There are fives sensors that are attached to your scalp and ears. The sensors are attached with a conductive paste that is easily removed with water. You sit back and listen to relaxing music for 33 minutes.
That’s it, that’s all you have to do.
Your central nervous system takes in the feedback provided by minute interruptions to the music and uses that information to become more resilient, flexible and stable. It is virtually side effect free. When your brain shows turmoil, there is a slight pause in the music- it’s almost indecipherable. The turbulence may be a sign of stress or something else that requires additional energy to sustain. Since your brain prefers to use energy efficiently, it’s very interested in these pauses.
Decreasing stress creates calmness and increases the ability to be present. There become fewer and fewer episodes of recycling the past. By the end of the training, many report feeling lighter, less anxious, and feel as if they awoke from a short nap. They feel refreshed.
If you want to take care of yourself or the people whom you love, you might suggest they eat healthy foods, exercise, perhaps meditate and/or spend some time outside in nature. Having a neurofeedback session is another way and a powerful way to get and stay healthy.
More Benefits of Neurofeedback
The following are a sampling of results reported by those who have trained using NeurOptimal®:
- Decreased ADD/ADHD (children and adults)
- Play sports better
- The cognitive and emotional effects of chemotherapy are lessened
- Migraine relief
- Notice improved concentration
- Decreased and eliminated addictions
- Take better care of self
- Have more patience
- Have more confidence
- Feel less emotionally sensitive and vulnerable
- Able to see another’s point of view
- Anger and anxiety less prominent
- Less depressed
- Improvement in sleep
- Respond rather than react
Many more positive changes can and do take effect.