I will also help you to:
- Argue less
- Listen better
- Learn when to confront and when to let go
- Figure out your triggers
- Trust each other again
I will not:
- Help you to “fix” your partner
- Let you tune out when your partner is trying to communicate
- Take sides
People enter into Couples Therapy for many reasons. My job as a Couples Therapist is to make each person feel safe and comfortable. My job is also to help you learn how to communicate with each other in a thoughtful and respectful manner, which includes both talking and listening. I will give you skills to problem solve. I will help you to sort out what’s happening and why.
I began working with couples in 1999, when I worked at an adoption agency. I helped couples navigate the complicated process of adoption. The goal was to get them onto the same page about whether or not they wanted to become parents. Then I helped them to recognize their differences in order to find a resolution so that they could move forward with what was best for them as a couple and as individuals.
Currently, I work with couples that are dating, married, separating or divorcing and co-parenting. Sometimes Couples Therapy is helpful for a parent and their (adult) child. It’s also helpful for siblings. Couples Therapy is simply any two people who want to work on their relationship together.
Another reason for seeking Couples Therapy is when there is a transition of some kind. Examples include:
- The introduction of a new family member such as a child through birth or adoption
- An older parent who is unable to care for his/herself and maybe moving into the home
- Loss of a job
- Moving to a new area
Other reasons that people seek Couples Counseling:
- When there are feelings of betrayal
- There are communication breakdowns
- There are unresolved conflicts
- Money and sex are also huge triggers in partnership
If you would like to talk with me about your interest in Couples Therapy or your concern about your partner’s ambivalence about it, call me for a free 15-minute consultation.